INSTITUTE OF IRON BLOG

No bullshit hardcore training

INSTITUTE OF IRON

INSTITUTE OF IRON

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How Long Do You Train For?

 

How long do you train for? I get asked this quite often at my day job; I answer 6-8 hours a week. The follow up response is sometimes interesting, “Oh I train 12 hours a week”. Well good for you. How about you come and train with me and then you’ll see how pointless it is to refer to time as the main indicator as to how hard or effective your training is.
 I’ve had some conversations recently where I’ve pointed out the very low level of time where I am actually under tension during these 1-2 hour training sessions. I would estimate I’m only actually training for a few minutes. Obviously I’ve been lifting for years; so the loads I use can be pretty high, this means I need rest between my heavy sets. If you’re Squatting less than 100kg for example, you just can’t comprehend how tough a 230kg+ Squat is; the demands on the body are so much greater. I did martial arts for years and competing was pretty tiring but nothing like a Powerlifting meet.

The key to your training isn’t how long you train for unless you’re a high level endurance athlete, it’s all about the intensity. Whether your goal is fat loss, muscle gain, or getting super strong your aim while training should be to get those weights up. Sure performing 3 sets of 10 reps at 75% 1RM can help with your goal but in my programming the main priority, and thus the first drill performed in the session is a Max Effort lift; usually a Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift, or Press, or variation of one of these. As the term “Max Effort” implies the goal is to lift the most weight you can for whatever number of reps you are aiming for. Pretty simple stuff Huh? But how many trainees do you see ever doing this type of work – not many!

Often Max Effort work doesn’t take long but as you know it’s not about time; your heaviest set might only take 5-10 seconds but the stress on the body could be huge. That’s what it’s all about, now stop clock watching and put some dammed weight on the bar.
http://www.getmightynow.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment